Wednesday, February 6, 2008

the blinders of professionalism

Army Colonel Larry James, a Guantanamo staffer, helps reveal the ways that people make themselves complicit with torture and injustice: by pretending one does not know, one does not jeapordize my professional opportunities. Sick sick sick. The article on msnbc.com was about the recent revelation of the existence of a top secret "camp seven" at Guantanamo.

"I learned a long time ago, if I'm going to be successful in the intel community, I'm meticulously -- in a very, very dedicated way -- going to stay in my lane," he said. "So if I don't have a specific need to know about something, I don't want to know it. I don't ask about it."

What a hero. It is such "patriots" who are greasing the national slide downward. A moral exemplar. I hope you have got a nice fat pension package, colonel, for your dedication to professional advancement!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Disconcerting, for certain. Know that some of us who wear the uniform try to do the right thing and stand up what is right.