Saturday, March 1, 2008

jogging stroller

I don't know the regular term for these vehicles, but you know what I mean: the three wheeled strollers with rubber tires with which middle class women push their children or babies while jogging.

On my bus ride from Maryland to Arizona this past week, I saw such a stroller used for an entirely different usage. An African American woman with a worried expression on her face maneuvered it through the bus stations along the way, her daughter seated in it and various bags and packages balanced atop and in it. One tire was almost flat. The girl was dressed in a jump suit, and followed her mother docilely when not in the stroller, reaching up to her to be held when her mother's arms were free.

They were refugees -- to where, or from what, I do not know.

No comments: