Friday, June 8, 2007

this meadow, and you

Sky beyond the sky, air beyond this air,
what need have I for them, with you here?

We find ourselves lost together
Surprised, here, in a meadow
scented with time, and camelias: doves coo
and fireflies flicker, winking, twinkling out
their humble code of light.

Were we lost finding each other,
winding up here by chance,
(chance that is no chance),
with birds, time, flowers,
eyes, lips, you, I, and hours,
by love so gently overpowered?

Evening falls, summer evening,
meadow where all evenings are this one evening
where we are young and old all at once,
where all loves are this sweet love
where all anguish comes to rest softly, softly,
meadow where I am your sky, and you, my air,
flickering flaring twinkling soaring.

What do we need beyond this,
This meadow, this summer’s eve,
these fireflies’ dance, this us?
Us that was sky, once, and air?
You, sky beyond my sky!

No comments: