Sunday, January 20, 2008

Obama worries

At a meeting of town volunteers for Barack Obama held today, both the organizers used the adverb "terribly." And that worried me.

"I am terribly excited about Obama's candidacy," said one, and the other said something similar.

What worried me was the clear class identity perceptible in the use of this word. Not that there are no highly educated supporters of Hillary Clinton. But I have not spoken to a single working class Obama supporter since I began volunteering for him a few weeks ago. Every person I have volunteered with or met at meetings I could imagine using the adverb "terribly." And that fact has me terribly worried.

1 comment:

Orientalista said...

that's what the polls be saying - the working class is coming out for Hillary and the educated for Obama.