Monday, May 5, 2008

70s style, taiwan






in Yuanli, Taiwan, where I am living with my parents-in-law while waiting for my wife's visa to come through, I have enjoyed finding gems of local architecture. these two houses were built in the mid-70's, which I guessed due to their use of a global architectural "vocabulary" that originated in the US and Europe (and in Japan?) in that time. the house whose interior is shown was designed by a taipei architect for a sum of 40,000 NT. interestingly, i have not seen such beautiful examples in the much larger city of Hsinchu; this may be because that city has developed so much faster and deeper than Yuanli, that such houses might have been torn down and replaced by wealthy people there. even today in Yuanli, this tradition of building beautiful homes by wealthy landowners continues.

No comments: