Sunday, September 7, 2008

my odd thought patterns

The other day I sat down to the dinner table with my bowl of rice. Sara noticed some grains hanging over the edge of the bowl, proof of my hurry in dishing it up, and said, "xiao yeman ren," which means "little savage."

I misheard her say, "Xiao Yuenan ren," or "little vietnamese." to rationalize this odd statement, I assumed she was comparing those hanging grains of rice to the Vietnamese clinging from helicopters lifting off from the US embassy in Saigon in 1975 in the famous photos. I soon found out she had no idea what I was talking about.

Yes, my thought patterns are queer -- odd.

1 comment:

Duane and Lynette said...

I think husbands and wives often mis-hear or mis-speak what the other says, and it can lead to strange exchanges. That's a good one though.