Thursday, July 26, 2007

father time

As Dad waited to make the left turn, he said impatiently, "Come on gang, or that green arrow's gonna disappear." He was speaking to the car ahead of us, which was slow to accelerate.

There are words and phrases I have heard my mom and dad say all my life, and I am so used to them I hardly hear them. My dad says "run of the mill," and "land office business," old phrases so imprinted in him they do not fade away.

"Gang" is another such word, a casual word used to address other people, such as a group of friends. I think of "Our Gang," the TV show otherwise called the "Little Rascals." Dad was born in 1929. I imagine there was a time when kids said the word to each other, "Hey gang!" the way I said "Hey guys!" to my friends in the 70s and 80s.

It is a charming use for such a sinister word. Time slips by in language.

No comments: